Haw Par Mansion (Tiger Balm Garden), Hong Kong
© 2012 Billie Love Historical Collection
University of Bristol - Historical Photographs of China reference number: BL05-28. The Haw Par Mansion and Tiger Balm Garden was built in Tai Hang Road, Hong Kong, in 1935, for the Burmese-Chinese tycoon and philanthropist Aw Boon Haw (1882-1954), the ‘Tiger Balm King’ and brother of Aw Boon Par. The garden was opened to the public in the early 1950s and demolished for redevelopment in 2004. The sculpture garden displayed scenes from Chinese folklore, including Buddhist and Confucian themes relating to life, death, happiness, sadness, joy, evil and justice. The mansion is now used for cross-cultural exchanges and by Haw Par Music. See JC-s287.
Black and white photograph