She Shan Hill and church, near Shanghai
© 2015 Helen Dhoot
University of Bristol - Historical Photographs of China reference number: HD-s09. The church is the second built on this site, the She Shan Hill, by Jesuits, and it was completed in 1873. This building was demolished c.1925 and replaced with the She Shan Basilica, which still stands (Huanshan Road). See description of She Shan church, in History section, at http://www.thelivingmoon.com/45jack_files/03files/China_Sheshan.html. Feng wen shan (Feng-Wan-Shan; Feng wen hills), is between Tsing poo (Tsing-poo; Chingpoo; Ch'ing-p'u; now Qingpu) and the suburban Songjiang district of modern Shanghai, 20 miles west of old Shanghai. NCH (10 May 1873) has a description of the opening of the Roman Catholic church. See HD-s10 ( acrop from HD-s09).
280mm x 211mm
Black and white photograph