The Central Market (中環街市), Hong Kong
© Crown copyright 2011
University of Bristol - Historical Photographs of China reference number: NA20-20. From a book in The National Archives referenced as: ‘HONG KONG 7A. 'Sixty Diamond Jubilee Pictures of Hong Kong', 1897 (CO 1069/450)’. The author and publisher of 'Sixty Diamond Jubilee Pictures of Hong Kong' '1837 1897' was Robert Crisp Hurley; the photographers are not named. The building in this photograph was built in 1895, replacing an earlier one. It was demolished in 1937 and replaced with a Bauhaus building. The market itself goes back to 1842, when it was set up on Queen's Road and known as Canton Bazaar. See NA16-018, NA16-019, NA16-020 and NA16-021. Crown copyright image reproduced by permission of The National Archives, London, England. The National Archives give no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for purpose of the information provided. This image may be used only for purposes of research, private study or education. Applications for any other use should be made to The National Archives Image Library, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU, UK. Telephone: 020 8392 5225. Fax: 020 8392 5266. Infringement of the above condition may result in legal action.
Black and white photograph
The National Archives, London