Kun Yam Hill (越秀山) and The Five Story Pagoda (鎭海樓), Guangzhou
© 2014 E. Tarrant
University of Bristol - Historical Photographs of China reference number: AB-s01. Written on back of print in pencil: 163. Kun Yam Hill (越秀山 Koon Yam Hill; Koon-yam Hill; Kun-yam Hill; Yuexiu Hill) and the Five Storey Pagoda (鎭海樓 Zhenhai Tower). There was a Guanyin (Kun Yam in Cantonese) pavilion (觀音閣 Guanyin ge) on the hill. The Guangyin pavilion served as the headquarters of the European forces occupying Guangzhou in 1857, during the Second Opium War. The pavilion was demolished in 1928 when the Sun Yat-sen Monument was built on the site. Photograph by A. Chan (Ya Zhen).
Black and white photograph