The S.S. Huichow (惠州) leaving Tianjin (天津) for North Borneo
University of Bristol - Historical Photographs of China reference number: NA27-14. Sir West Ridgeway’s Chinese labour scheme with the British North Borneo Company. The S.S. Huichow (惠州) was built in 1905 by Scotts Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd., Greenock. It was originally owned by Swire's China Navigation Company. The ship was sold in 1935 to Chinese shipbreakers in Shanghai. See NA27-10 and NA27-15 (more photographs of the S.S. Huichow). In the background on the left is the Orthodox Church of the Holy Protection and a model of a giant bottle, being an advert for 'George IV' Scotch Whisky - see FB-s03. From an album in The National Archives entitled ‘MISCELLANEOUS 20. Photograph album. Photographs depict scenes of emigrants from China leaving under British supervision to British North Borneo in the 1920s. (CO 1069/794)’. Crown copyright image reproduced by permission of The National Archives, London, England. The National Archives give no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for purpose of the information provided. This image may be used only for purposes of research, private study or education. Applications for any other use should be made to The National Archives Image Library, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU, UK. Telephone: 020 8392 5225. Fax: 020 8392 5266. Infringement of the above condition may result in legal action.
Black and white photograph
The National Archives, London